Sunday, August 11, 2013

Going Home


Have you ever traveled over 24 hours? It's pretty awful.  Have you ever traveled over 24 hours after pulling an all nighter with your friends because y'all are dumb?  No?  Well, let me tell you, it's absolutely miserable.  We all made it safely to Minneapolis feeling a little worn from the 10.5 hour flight from Japan.  It was from Minneapolis most of us began to split off and fly different directions around the country. I was feeling pretty good sitting with everyone waiting for our flights.  Then I sat down on the tiny final plane taking me to Austin. I almost lost it once I sat down on this plane.  I was exhausted, the seats were uncomfortable, and I was sitting next to a talkative stranger.  I needed sleep, I wanted a hug,  and at that moment neither of those were an option.  It was then that I decided to pull out my journal. at first i was just going to write abut how unhappy I was, then I decided to read the little notes my classmates had written on our last day at school.  I am completely certain that these notes are the only thing at helped m regain my composure and stop muttering to myself like an angry, inane person.  

It's funny, when we were writing these notes to each other I wasn't really into it.  I had just witnessed the spurs lose the championship to the heat and I was hungry which hindered my productivity and focus.  Plus, I figured people pretty much knew what I thought. I like to tell people I appreciate them,I'm a generally friendly person, that's enough isn't it?

Reading these notes I realized how wrong my assumptions were.  These notes were filled with some of the kindest words I have ever read.  All filled with encouragement for the future and noting my "bright" personality, which after traveling for so many hours felt anything but bright.  I discovered that small gestures, such as saying hello to a classmate on the first day of class, left an impression.  I began to see myself the way others see me.  What a beautiful gift! It can be so hard sometimes to see what you are doing right, to see how you are making a difference in the world.

While reading these notes I couldn't help but think about how different the world would be if we did this all the time.  Building up the people around us, reminding each other what makes us special.  Instead of tearing each other down to make ourselves feel better.Maybe I just have my rose colored glasses on right now, but I think this could solve so many personal and relational issues people deal with today.  It is so easy to let the world tell you how you don't measure up, we need to recognize that it is our responsibility to rebuild each other so they can see all the beautiful potential we see in them.

I hope my classmates in Thailand know that they have changed my world.  In clinical settings that were foreign in every sense of the word they encouraged me, pushed me, made me think.  I was so scared to mess up, but they were always right there to help me readjust, pick me up, and move on.  They showed me what it means to not only be a great music therapist (in training) but to also be a gracious and loving human being.  I know everyone who I spent these last five weeks with will go far in their lives both personally and professionally.  Their desire to provide the best care to their patients and clients is inspiring.  The time they put into practicing and planning for their sessions proved their passion for the profession.  I can't wait to see where you all end up.  I know you all will do incredible things in the future.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment